2021 Legislative Session Priorities
Minnesota’s economic recovery is imperative
2020 Federation Priorities in partnership with the Minnesota Chamber of Commerce
Local chambers represent economic vitality in their communities. The Minnesota Chamber Federation unites and amplifies the voice of local chambers by advocating for policies to advance business in every corner of the state. We have worked to promote pro-growth policies to the Legislature for a more than a decade, helping ensure that state lawmakers understand the needs and interests of Minnesota’s diverse and successful local business community.
The impact of COVID-19 on the statewide economy and many sectors of the business community will have lasting impact and the legislature must first “do no harm” and instead pass measures that spur recovery and economic growth. Businesses cannot sustain additional tax and fee increases, mandates, regulatory burdens and other measures that will further impede business recovery.
- Tax reforms and small business grants to provide hard-hit industries with immediate cash flow.
- Enacting COVID-19 lawsuit liability protections for businesses.
- Maintaining and enhancing connectivity, i.e. broadband.
- Reorienting workforce development programs based on immediate needs in a post-COVID-19 economy.
- Maximizing the ability of schools to bring students safely back to campus for in-person, full-time instruction.
- Providing one-time targeted child care funding to meet the needs of low-income and essential workers and providers.
Elk River Area Chamber of Commerce also supports the following positions on an on-going basis
- Repeal automatic inflation index & add a tipped employee tier to the Minnesota minimum wage law.
- Allow business owners, employers and employees to deduct the cost of insurance on a pre-tax basis regardless of the status of an employer’s group plan. This would allow employers to reimburse employees for the cost of insurance, rather than stand the cost of a group plan which may not fit their needs.